Selecting Australia's World Youth Scrabble team for 2018
The 2018 World Youth Scrabble Championship will be held in 2018, somewhere on planet Earth.
Australia is entitled to send 10 young players who get free entry. However all suitable players are welcome, provided they play an entry fee.
For more information about Youth Scrabble in the international context, including
reports of the previous WYSC events please visit
For news about the Youth Scrabble happenings in Victoria (and often news about Youth
Scrabble in a wider context), have a look at
This is an invitational event where players are selected by each participating country. For Australia the selection is
done by the Council of Australian Scrabble Players
Association. The rules for selection for free entry (ie the Australian quota places) in 2018 are:
- You must be an Australian citizen, or have resided in Australia for at least 12 months prior to 30.06.2018.
- You must be an ASPA member (or junior member, in NSW) at 30.06.2018
- You must be born 1 Jan 2001 or later
- The qualifying period is 01.07.2017 to 30.06.2018.
- Contenders are ranked by their peak rating
over the qualifying period.
- There are three rating hurdles :
- You must have played 50 games within the Australian rating system before any peak.
- You must play at least 25 games during the qualification period.
- If you miss a game for any reason other than an assigned bye, you cannot count a peak attained in that tournament for any
qualification purposes. Games played will count towards games quotas.
Ratings will be calculated as usual, with byes and forfeits not rated.
The secondary criterion is number of rated games within the qualification period.
If two players have the same peak rating,
the one with the greater number of games in the qualification period is ranked higher.
Please inform Karen Richards (email@example.com)
if you are aware of any other young Australian Scrabble players.